With home foreclosures continuing to rise, so are scams preying on people who are some of the most vulnerable. Tips from the US government to help avoid foreclosures scams is provided below. Remember that foreclosure help is free - you should never pay for assistance to help prevent foreclosure.
- Scam artists often target homeowners who are struggling to meet their mortgage commitment or anxious to sell their homes. Recognize and avoid common scams.
- Assistance from a HUD-approved housing counselor is FREE.
- Beware of anyone who asks you to pay a fee in exchange for a counseling service or modification of a delinquent loan.
- Beware of people who pressure you to sign papers immediately, or who try to convince you that they can “save” your home if you sign or transfer over the deed to your house.
- Do not sign over the deed to your property to any organization or individual unless you are working directly with your mortgage company to forgive your debt.
- Never make a mortgage payment to anyone other than your mortgage company without their approval.