Credit Unions Online

Tax Tips for Recently Married Taxpayers

Tax Tips for Recently Married Taxpayers by STAFF WRITER
Published July 29, 2009
Credit Unions Online
Share This
Follow Us
A new marriage may seem like a whole new life is waiting for you, with all the possibilities and dreams that you are building with your spouse, there is a little harsh reality waiting for you as well. Your tax situation has changed and many newly-married people are unaware of the exact implications how a legal arrangement, like a marriage, can affect your financial life. If you have recently gotten married or plan to get married in the near future, the IRS has some tips to help you avoid stress at tax time.
  • Notify the Social Security Administration Report any name change to the Social Security Administration, so your name and SSN will match when you file your next tax return. Informing the SSA of a name change is quite simple. File a Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security card at your local SSA office. The form is available on SSA’s Web site at, by calling 800-772-1213 or at local offices.
  • Notify the IRS If you have a new address you should notify the IRS by sending Form 8822, Change of Address. You may download Form 8822 from the IRS website or order it by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).
  • Notify the U.S. Postal Service You should also notify the U.S. Postal Service when you move so it can forward any IRS correspondence.
  • Notify Your Employer Report any name and address changes to your employer(s) to ensure receipt of your Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement after the end of the year.
  • Check Your Withholding If both you and your spouse work, your combined income may place you in a higher tax bracket. You can use the IRS Withholding Calculator available on to assist you in determining the correct amount of withholding needed for your new filing status. The IRS Withholding Calculator will even provide you with a new Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate you can print out and give it to your employer so they can withhold the correct amount from your pay.

comments powered by Disqus
Previous Story:
Julia Tyler First Spouse $10 Gold Coin Releases August 6, 2009
Next Story:
FHFA Reports Mortgage Rates Increase 24 Basis Points in June


|   Home   |   Find a Credit Union   |   Blog   |   Holiday Closings   |   Top 100 Credit Unions   |   Calculators   |

Share This
Share Facebook Share Twitter Share Google Plus
Follow Us
Follow Facebook Follow Twitter Follow RSS Feed Follow email

Privacy Policy   About Us   © 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved.