Credit Unions OnlineCredit Unions Online
Credit Unions Online
Six Tips for Credit Union Members Making a Move

Six Tips for Credit Union Members Making a Move

If you moved in 2009 or are moving very soon, here are six tips for credit union members who have moved or are about to move. Be sure to keep everyone up-to-date so you don't accidentally fall behind on monthly payments, miss important correspondence, or miss your tax refund. If you’ve changed your home or business address, make sure you update that information with your credit union, the IRS, your employer, and United States Post Office.

  1. Notify Your Credit Union - Don't forget to let your credit union know about your move so you get your account statements and other correspondence.
  2. Change Your Address with the IRS - You can change your address on file with the IRS in several ways: Correct the address legibly on the mailing label that comes with your tax package; Write the new address in the appropriate boxes on your tax return; Use Form 8822, Change of Address, to submit an address or name change any time during the year; Give the IRS written notification of your new address by writing to the IRS center where you file your return. Include your full name, old and new addresses, Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number and signature. If you filed a joint return, be sure to include the information for both taxpayers. If you filed a joint return and have since established separate residences, both taxpayers should notify the IRS of your new addresses;
  3. Notify Your Employer - Be sure to also notify your employer of your new address so you get your W-2 forms on time.
  4. Estimated Tax Payments - If you make estimated tax payments throughout the year, you should mail a completed Form 8822, Change of Address, or write the IRS campus where you file your return. You may continue to use your old pre-printed payment vouchers until the IRS sends you new ones with your new address. However, do not correct the address on the old voucher.
  5. Notify the Post Office - visit to complete a change of address so your mail gets routed to your new address. The USPS even provides special offers from select companies when you use their online change of address tool.
  6. Postal Service - The IRS does use the Postal Service’s change of address files to update taxpayer addresses, but it’s still a good idea to notify the IRS directly.

Financial Calculators

by Staff Writer
Published February 23, 2010
comments powered by Disqus
Find a Credit UnionCalculatorsHoliday ClosingsBlogInterest RatesBest Credit UnionsLargest Credit Unions
A Better Way to Bank? There's a Credit Union for That.℠
What is a Credit Union?Privacy PolicyTermsAbout UsContact Us
Credit Unions Online, Since 1995. ©2017CommonBond- All Rights Reserved.