Tips to Help Plan Your Summer Vacation
Planning your summer vacation often includes reserving hotel rooms and buying plane tickets. You'll also need to make additional travel arrangements if your vacation does not keep you in one spot. With all the planning and reservations you might forget some of the basics, so here is a reminder to help keep your summer vacation on track.
- Plan Ahead - the best deals on hotels and airfare will sell out quickly, so the sooner you know where and when you are going on your vacation, starting making your arrangements to get the best deals available.
- Flexibility - Start with your ideal travel dates when making arrangements. Then see if you save money by leaving a day earlier or returning a day later. A different airport can also reduce your travel costs, especially if you can find non-stop flights.
- Comparison Shopping - Even if you think you found the best deal ever, check around. Compare the total cost of airfare (quoted prices plus all the extra fees you will be charged the day of travel).
- Understand Cancellation Policies - Know what the latest date you can cancel and how much of a refund you will get. You might also want to look into trip insurance if there is a reasonable chance plans could change or weather could affect your vacation.
- Pay by Credit Card - Credit cards give a little extra protection if you encounter problems along the way and need to dispute any charges.
- Written Confirmations - Get written confirmations for all reservations in writing including rates and dates.
by Staff Writer
Published June 8, 2011